Friday, March 6, 2009

Save Money !! Invest in a Garden

Starting a garden doesn't have to be expensive. I have been growing plants for years, for little money.

My garden is a little different than what my mother had. Her garden was a box garden which was filled with rows of carrots, radishes, tomatoes, cucumbers, corn. I remember watching my mother and father, either weeding or picking the vegetables.

Do you like getting your feet dirty when you work in the garden? Do you hate to weed? I personally like, using weed control fabric for both of these reasons. Simply, lay down the fabric, pour the dirt in rows or mounds. Leave enough space in between rows, so you are walking on the fabric. The walking area may look to big at first, but your crop will grow and spread out.

Don't have room for a garden. Planters come in handy for this job. I have grown tomatoes, peppers, carrots, radishes, strawberries and herbs in planters. Just make sure that the planter is big enough. If you purchase dishwasher or laundry soap in a large tall bucket. They work well for tomato plants.

The best part of having a garden for me, is sharing what I grow with friends, family and those in need.